Land of the False Star
The Ratkin are a humanoid race of bipedal humanoids, resembling and having an affinity with rats and other vermin. They are often found in colonies around human settlements, as well as ruins and graveyards.
Ratkin are a short and lithe race, standing half the height of a human. Quick for their size, they are covered with fur of various colors except for their hands and sometimes upper faces. They have sharp and jagged teeth as well as sharp claws on their hands.
Ratkin come in two distinct varieties – urban and outsider. The urban ratkin are the most common, and while roundly despised, they can be found in almost any human settlement. Depending on how well they are suppressed, urban ratkin can be small hidden enclaves of skilled scavengers, or have their own domain and influence via swarm clans.
Outsider ratkin tend to dwell in subterranean enclaves, in ruins or necropolises. Little is known about these independents, or their relationship to the urban ratkin.
Ratkin society revolves around three things: maintaining the breeding pits to ensure the swarm grows, revering their two gods of plague and vermin, and surviving while expanding the influence of the Great Swarm, the sum of all ratkin.
Ratkin are loathed by humans, elves and dwarves, but exterminating or driving them off is rendered nearly impossible by their ability to replenish their population and a natural talent for survival and stealth. They have an ongoing rivalry with goblinoids.
Alignment and Religion
Most ratkin are neutral evil or chaotic evil. They have two gods in their pantheon – Ezgrit, the Father of Plagues, and Gorma, Mother of Vermin. Priests of these two gods often form the backbone of ratkin society, bridging the gaps between rival swarm clans.
- Ability Scores: Ratkin are agile, clever but loathesome. They get +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma.
- Type: Ratkin are humanoids of the ratkin subtype.
- Size: Ratkin are Small and thus gain a +1 size bonus to their AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, a –1 penalty on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a +4 size bonus on Stealth checks.
- Speed (Fast): Ratfolk have a base speed of 40 ft.
- Languages: Common, Ratkin, Undercommon, Goblin, Orc, Halfling, Draconic, Abyssal
- Darkvision: Can see in complete darkness up to 60 ft.
Feat and Skill Racial Traits
- Sinister: Ratkin gain a +2 racial bonus on Stealth, Craft (Alchemy), Survival and Escape Artist
- Rodent Empathy: Ratkin gain a +4 racial bonus on Handle Animals checks to influence rodents
Offense Racial Traits
- Swarming: Ratkin are used to living and fighting communally, and are adept at swarming foes for their own gain and their foes’ detriment. Up to two ratkin can share the same square at the same time. If two ratkin in the same square attack the same foe, they are considered to be flanking that foe as if they were in two opposite squares.
- Sharp Claws: Ratkin have two claw attacks. These are natural attacks that deal 1d4 damage each.
- Bite: Ratkin have a natural bite attack for 1d4 damage. Some ratkin have diseased bites:
- Disease (Ex) Filth fever: Bite—injury; save Fort DC 14; onset 1d3 days; frequency 1/day; effect 1d3 Dex damage and 1d3 Con damage; cure 2 consecutive saves. The save DC is Constitution-based.
Ratkin are clever and vicious. They are excellent assassins and thieves, but also excel at alchemy. They have access to the alchemist class, as well as the special plague bringer subclass.